Keywords & sync

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 9 22:14:25 UTC 2014

On 08 Oct 2014, at 10:36, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

>> PS: I really liked to see a feature to limitlessly tag messages with arbitrary text strings from a synced, easily extensible vocubulary :) But storing them as headers might go against the idea of IMAP, to keep message pristine, storing them extra makes much buro-cracy, oh my!
>
> See, IMAP ANNOTATE rfc5257:
>
> "this can be used to attach comments and other useful
>   information to a message.  It is also possible to attach annotations
>   to specific parts of a message, so that, for example, they could be
>   marked as seen, or important, or a comment added.
> "
>
> this seems to be the last post about it:
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-February/140526.html
>
> There probably is a working metadata plugin for Dovecot:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/72702
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-metadata-plugin

Newer v2.2.x supports METADATA internally, no need for external plugins. It also supports dsync, ACLs and IMAP commands as mentioned in the first mail. What is still missing is some kind of a quota support, but if you're not too worried about that you can already enable it.

Anyway, RFC 5257 is ANNOTATE which is different from METADATA. That is still not implemented by any plugin and its core functionality is also still missing from Dovecot's lib-storage. If you really want to implement it in a quick and dirty way you could use the mailbox METADATA entries to do it by using the IMAP UIDs as part of the mailbox METADATA entry names. Those don't get automatically deleted when mails are expunged, and could have some other problems, but basically it would work..