dictionary attack defense

Cliff Hayes chayes at afo.net
Wed Oct 22 03:59:18 UTC 2014

a) I read about auth_failure_delay even before I posted my question and
I could not figure out the one-line explanation in the dovecot wiki:
"Number of seconds to delay before replying to failed authentications."
  It's delaying a reply.  Does that mean the hacker can keep asking as
fast as he wants?  Is it per user or per IP?

b) I'm familiar with mail_max_userip_connections = x, but I'm not
familiar with the time limit you mention.