Properly "locking" a useraccount (on a proxy)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 24 23:43:28 UTC 2014

On 21 Oct 2014, at 11:27, Ralf Hildebrandt <r at sys4.de> wrote:

> But how can I "lock" a user during migration?
>
> The plan is:
> ============
>
> * lock the user
> * kick the user (doveadm kick)
> * migrate mailbox (some rsync magic)
> * unlock the user again

Alternative is to use "doveadm sync" and you don't necessarily even need to lock anything at all.

> But how would I lock the user?
>
> What locking needs to achieve:
>
> 1) Disallow IMAP/POP login (that's easy!)

Yeah, many ways.

> 2) defer LMTP delivery somehow (Postfix is talking to dovecot's LMTP server)

 - LMTP proxy does a passdb lookup. I'm not sure if there's any good way to fail in here. I was planning to suggest allow_nets=0.0.0.0/32 but looks like LMTP proxying just ignores that. Fixed now: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/3a8b417b0b80

 - LMTP backend does a userdb lookup. Userdb lookup can return either "user doesn't exist" or "temporary failure". Nothing else. You can have it return a temporary failure by having it return "tempfail" extra field.