High I/O wait with Dovecot POP3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 25 00:21:18 UTC 2014

See also http://wiki2.dovecot.org/POP3Server - especially pop3_fast_size_lookups may be useful.

> mail_nfs_index = yes
> mail_nfs_storage = yes

These slow things down a bit, ideally get rid of these and use Dovecot directors instead.

> protocol pop3 {
>  pop3_uidl_format = %v.%u
> }

I don't think your Courier installation was using this UIDL format? If you switched to Dovecot the UIDLs would likely differ and clients would redownload mails. Try to preserve the UIDLs as described in http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier - and even then I'd recommend setting pop3_uidl_format to something else, for example %f