charset-specific searches, and continuation lines

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Fri Sep 5 02:59:37 UTC 2014

Quoting Eric Abrahamsen <eric at ericabrahamsen.net>:

> While I've got you here, I hope you'll answer one more question: what's
> the format for searching multiple terms with non-ascii strings? Is it
> possible in one run to find a utf-8 encoded subject, and a utf-8 encoded
> body?

IMAP interaction would look like this:

C: . UID SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 SUBJECT {4}
S: +OK
C: aéb BODY {4}
S: +OK
C: aéb
S: * SEARCH XXX
S: . OK

Even better... if the server supports LITERAL+, you don't have to wait
for the synchronizing literal which prevents the need to wait for 2
round-trips from the server:

C: . UID SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 SUBJECT {4+}
C: aéb BODY {4+}
C: aéb[CRLF]
S: * SEARCH XXX
S: . OK