how to profiling imap process with valgrind

Teemu Huovila teemu.huovila at dovecot.fi
Fri Sep 5 06:50:28 UTC 2014

Hello

On 09/04/2014 10:53 PM, morrison wrote:
> I want to profile runtime performance of imap and pop3 processes. There processes are forked by dovecot master process. I am wondering if there is a way I can profile these processes with valgrind. I tried "service = /bin/valgrind /bin/imap" but this did not work.

You could try:

service imap {
  executable = /usr/bin/valgrind --num-callers=50 --leak-check=full -q <DOVECOT-PATH-PREFIX-HERE>/libexec/dovecot/imap
}

service pop3 {
  executable = /usr/bin/valgrind --num-callers=50 --leak-check=full -q <DOVECOT-PATH-PREFIX-HERE>/libexec/dovecot/pop3

Fix the paths for valgrind and Dovecot libexec/ to match your system. Depending on your distribution and library versions you
may also want to add --suppressions for some external libraries. Valgrind output will be in Dovecot error log.

br,
Teemu Huovila