usenet/imap

Edwardo Garcia wdgarc88 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:33:25 UTC 2014

On 9/12/14, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/11/14, Edwardo Garcia <wdgarc88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Halo,
>>
>> Has anyones had experiences with feeding usenet  into imap folders, we
>> like to have some group for all user, any problem with message limit?
>> We only want the text newsgroups?
>>

> Thats crazy!
>
> Depending on your news feed that will get huge over time, and if you
> try get a back feed of existing posts, thats even crazier, my upstream
> feeds me over FORTY THOUSAND text newsgroups. thats unrealistic to

How much of these group are active? Or how many post a day on average you get?

> feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
> one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,

We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
usenet is not as popular this days.

> a junk box (ie: even a 10yo 32bit desktop PC with half a gig of ram
> will run nicely)  starting out you wont need terabytes of disk space,

We have plenty them lying around, so maybe this be better if we find
better news server software.

> but heck,  a 1TB sata drive is cheap enough so if it fails its no
> bother, a 1TB scsi, might be a different story LOL (but of course is
> much much more reliable than sata).
>
> There are a few places around who will give you a free feed if you
> dont have one, and if you get stuck ask me off list, I get one off
> someone who used to be on this list, though he's likely forgotten that
> I do as it was a couple years ago he connected us up  :-)

We have a feeder when we ready, they go to feed our imap, so should
feed our own news server, thank you anyway