unable to see mail when using telnet / open ssl

Dave Myers david.myers.24j74 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:55:01 UTC 2014

Dear dovecot list.

I'm setting up my own VPS and working through getting mail to work.

Here is my dovecot -n

$dovecot -n
maildir:%h/%d/%n/mail : layout=fs
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 x86_64 Debian 6.0.3
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain login cram-md5
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = 1002
mail_home = /var/mail/virtual/%d/%n
mail_location = maildir:~/mail: layout=fs
mail_uid = 1002
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   args = scheme=SHA512-CRYPT username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
   unix_listener auth-client {
     mode = 0660
     user = mail
   }
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
   inet_listener imaps {
     port = 993
     ssl = yes
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
   driver = passwd-file
}
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
verbose_ssl = yes

I can successfully log into dovecot using telnet and open ssl from a
remote terminal, so authentication and everything is working fine.

 From the above dovecot -n I asume that mails should be going to
/var/mail/virtual/domain/user/mail

However when I view this directory I can see a number of test mails that
I have sent using

echo "Hello me" | mail -s "Dovecot test" $USER

(see http://wiki2.dovecot.org/FindMailLocation)

Why am I not seeing them when I use telnet / openSSL to log in?

All help is greately appreciated.

--
Tel:
   + 33 6 50 14 39 34