doveadm with multiple instances on same machine(s)

Will Yardley dovecot.org at veggiechinese.net
Fri Sep 19 00:04:13 UTC 2014

Couple questions about running doveadm with multiple instances... I have
Dovecot 2.2.13 on RHEL6 running across 3 boxes, each with a director and
main instance running. When I try to lookup something on the main
instance (which is handling user auth) via its auth-userdb socket
directly, I get an error:

# doveadm auth lookup -a /var/run/dovecot-main/auth-userdb myuser
doveadm(root): Error: passdb lookup failed for myuser: Configured passdbs don't support crentials lookups

When I use the default lookup map, I just get the proxy settings that
are configured in the director instance's authdb.
# doveadm auth lookup myuser
passdb: myuser
  user      : myuser
  proxy     : y
  nopassword: y

In addition,
"doveadm director map"

can't map the username -I get the error:
doveadm(root): Error: User listing returned failure
doveadm(root): Error: user listing failed
[then I get the whole list, but with <unknown> for each user]

The director itself doesn't have the LDAP passdb that the main dovecot
instance talks to, but I have, in the director config:

service doveadm {
  inet_listener {
    port = 8889
  }
}
director_doveadm_port = 8889

local 192.168.x.x/24 {
  doveadm_password = XXXXXX
}

doveadm_proxy_port = 8888

And in the main config:

service doveadm {
  inet_listener {
    port = 8888
  }
}

local 192.168.x.x/24 {
  doveadm_password = XXXXXXX ## same password as above
}