negative auth cache?

Will Yardley dovecot.org at veggiechinese.net
Fri Sep 19 06:41:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:21:51AM +0200, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Will Yardley wrote:
>
> > Also, how can I flush the cache for a non-default instance's cache using
> > doveadm -- "doveadm auth cache flush" doesn't seem to have an '-a'
> > option AFAICT.
>
> mhm: -a does not have no relationship to (Dovecot) "instance".
>
> doveadm auth cache flush
>
> flushes all the auth cache, no selection of an user possible, no need for
> - -a.
>
> doveadm -i instance_name auth cache flush
>
> should flush all the auth cache of the specified instance. Note the "-i"
> preceeds the command.

That doesn't give an error, but strace shows this:

[...]
connect(8, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/dovecot-director/auth-master"}, 110) = 0

(is it connecting to the wrong instance's auth socket? the path to the
'main' instance's auth socket is /var/run/dovecot-main/auth-master)

and then I see
# doveadm -i main auth cache flush
0 cache entries flushed

(strace shows this, which is the same thing I see from the director
instance).
write(1, "0 cache entries flushed\n", 240 cache entries flushed
) = 24

The 'main' instance should definitely have plenty of auth cache entries
these are fairly busy systems, and the cache TTL is 5 minutes.

Also, while I'd seen the use of the '-i flag, I didn't realize it was
supported in this version, as '-i' doesn't seem to be listed in
doveadm(1) or in the usage for doveadm.