how to config dovecot from source with lmtp

Dave Myers david.myers.24j74 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:17:07 UTC 2014

Hi dovecot users,

I've decided to re-install my dovecot-imapd server with lmtp functionality

I've been looking at my dovecot source, it certainly contains an lmtp
sub folder.

I've looked at the details for the config of lda, and I wonder why
(particularly as I installed from source) dovecot does not install with
lmtp by default ? this is particularly in respect to the details on the
wiki2 page: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA

    Nowadays you should probably use the LMTP server
    <http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LMTP> instead, because it's somewhat
    easier to configure (especially related to permissions) and gives
    better performance.

I've looked through to see how to build dovecot with ldmp support, and I
don't find anything in the install doc page
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/CompilingSource that explains what switch I
need to use to add compatibility for lmtp.

I will admit I've not looked very far outside of the official dovecot
site, but then most of the google hits return me straight to the above
mentioned pages.

I should also note that when I downloaded the 'newest version' of
dovecot using :
  wget http://www.dovecot.org/releases/2.2/dovecot-2.2.13.tar.gz

Everything goes fine, after doing the stuff a dovecot -n returns

    # 2.2.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
    # OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 x86_64 Debian 6.0.3

Which is pleasing, as previously it return 2.1.7
I haven't changed any of my config files, looking at the upgradeing page
on the wiki it would seem I haven't set any configs that require it.

I now restart the process.

    $ sudo  /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
    Restarting IMAP/POP3 mail server: dovecotFatal: service(lmtp)
    access(/usr/lib/dovecot/lmtp) failed: No such file or directory
      failed!

I can confirm that the file it is looking for doesn't exist, but how do
I configure the install of dovecot to include it?

thanks in advance for your advice

David
___________
I include below a part of the original converstion that has led me to
decide to add lmtp support to my install.

--
Tel:
   + 33 6 50 14 39 34

email: