Confusing wording on the wiki

Daniel Parthey pada at posteo.de
Wed Sep 24 17:26:52 UTC 2014

On 24. September 2014 11:51:09 MESZ, Alan McGinlay <alanm at sics.se> wrote:

>I am confused by the wording of this Wiki entry:
>
>  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve

This is the file/link which dovecot does load for SIEVE rule processing. Dovecot does not need to know whether this is a symlink or not.

>  The path to the user's main active Sieve script. When ManageSieve is
>used, this is a symbolic link pointing to the active script in the
>sieve_dir directory. Avoid placing the active Sieve script inside the
>sieve_dir directory.

The sieve_dir is usually in directory "sieve" which is in the same directory as the .dovecot.sieve symlink. The actual files are inside of the sieve directory.

Mail_home / .dovecot.sieve -> sieve/one
Mail_home / sieve / one
Mail_home / sieve / two

>So this should be a link *to* the active script in the sieve_dir
>directory however the active script shouldn't actually be in that
>directory?

Yes, the link should not be located in the sieve directory. And the sieve configuration directive should point to the link (or any other file to use for SIEVE).

Regards
Daniel