Does dovecot work OK on *BSD?

Leander Schäfer info at netocean.de
Thu Sep 25 16:26:31 UTC 2014

Hi Steve,

Go for FreeBSD ;) it offers Dovecot(2) via ports or via package. I
always recommend ports though, due to the fact of being able to
enable/disable options - but that's your choise.

Ports:
cd /usr/ports/mail/dovecot2
make install clean

or via pkg(8):
pkg install dovecot2

I can allway recommend to ask your friend Google: "FreeBSD + Dovecot +
Tutorial" or "FreeBSD + Dovecot + How to".
According to my knowledge, it works quite the same with the other BSDs
in your list. It's been a while since I worked with one of them. I
sticked to FreeBSD

  * For updating / maintenance of ports and packages, I recommend
    portmaster.
  * For System binary related updates there is freebsd-update(8).

Best Regards,
Leander S.