Dovecot Sieve and Postfix header_checks Issue

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Sep 27 13:14:24 UTC 2014

Am 27.09.2014 um 15:04 schrieb Klaipedaville on Google:
>> ...could you advise if it is actually possible to use both before-queue and after-queue filtering?
>> Reindl
>> surely but how does that make sense?
>
> It makes because it will use two filters, not just one.
> It will filter before queue first and then anything that may be missed

it don't

having sa-milter, clamav-milter, postscreen, PTR/HELO checks
is all before queue there is not much left....

> or let through on purpose will be filtered after queue by the second filter

that's not possible except the milter itself
has whitelists which are triggered

you need to realize that if a reject before queue was
triggered there is nothing happing after because there
just exists no queue at all

>> Since it is the Dovecot list I would be curious to know how to do  it Dovecot Sieve way.
>
>> doing *what*?
>
> Making two filters work together (dovecot after-queue and postfix before-queue).

it's not the job of dovecot at all

>> That is my Postfix passes it over to Dovecot for delivery but all the milters work with Postfix directly and my passing delivery over to Dovecot should theoretically simply disable any before-queue filters
>
>> that's just impossible
>
> It is technically and theoretically impossible

technically

you can't even have a DNSWL before a milter

you only can have other thins rejecting on meta-data and stop
the milter overhead because a decision is already made

>> you can't control a before-queue filter that way because, well, he is before-queue and has no idea what later happens with that message.
>
> I wouldn’t care what the before-queue would be up to as long as they
> would "cooperate" together with the after-queue

there is no "cooperate" - if the milter rejects it's rejected
if a PTR check rejectes it is rejected
no layer after that will get in touch with the message

that's the idea of having several layers and try to
get the cheaper ones in front - frankly after postscreen
if correctly used the layers after only face 5-10% of all
incoming mail