No AUTH PLAIN with dovecot 2.0.19

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 29 13:30:12 UTC 2014

Am 29.09.2014 um 15:21 schrieb Michael Wechner:

> Hi Harald
>
> Thanks very much for your quick reply. Please see my answers inline below
>
>> telnet is worthless because AUTH is likely announced *after STARTTLS*
>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_security_options
>
> right, but when requesting for example mail.wyona.com, then I can see AUTH

depends on the servers configuration

> hence I would assume to see it also for the new version of postfix
> and dovecot, or do I misunderstand something?

yes, you did not read http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_security_options

if the server is configured in a way it offers AUTH only
over a encrypted channel (recommended) then you need to
use STARTTLS before you see the capability and for that
telnet is just the wrong tool