Dovecot Oy merger with Open-Xchange AG

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Wed Apr 1 11:04:12 UTC 2015

On Don, 2015-03-26 at 17:01 +0200, Andreas Kasenides wrote:
> On 26/03/15 13:05, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-03-23 at 16:08 +0200, Andreas Kasenides wrote:
> >> I am usually emotionally (at least) against of open-source projects
> >> loosing their independence to large corporations. Possibly due to bad
> > OX-AG is a "large corporation"?
> > Did I miss something?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > 	Bernd
>
> I have no idea how large is OX-AG. That is not what I said anyway. At

Well, at least somewhat implicated IMHO.

> least not what I meant.
;-) Fair enough!

> I was trying to emphasize large or larger commercial entities trying to
> take advantage of the OSS community.
> Which happened many times in the past.

Yes, there were some not-so-promising "take overs" but there were also
others.

IMHO the larger the corporation is, the less are the chances for
*long-term* benefits of the OSS/free software (mainly because: usually
commercial success is driven and defined from marketing to sales[1] sown
to the techies which are forced into "features" and "delivery dates" to
achieve some "company defined goal" - and that is usually not "bug
free", "safe", or the like. Free software/OSS just happens that *at
least* half of it should come from the "working level" and that is - at
least - much more - ahemm - "inconvenient" for sales people).

	Bernd

[1]: Sorry, but some "pre-sales techies" which are not really involved
     in the technical realization afterwards are just an excuse for
     the sales department.
--
"I dislike type abstraction if it has no real reason. And saving
on typing is not a good reason - if your typing speed is the main