Dovecot keeps creating info files in mail directory instead of home

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 14:12:56 UTC 2015

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a while now, and I'm really at a
loss.

My userdb is set up correctly to return home, and mail, and a test with
'doveadm user' verifies this:

# doveadm user user at domain
field   value
uid     1000
gid     1000
home    /var/domain/user
mail    maildir:/var/mail/user at domain

I've reloaded, restarted, stopped and started dovecot again - and even
deleted the info files in the mail directory just to be sure - but each and
every time I log in with imap, dovecot recreates the files again
(dovecot.index.log, dovecot-uidlist, etc.) in the mail directory instead of
home.

I've even made sure just in case that the home directory is accessible to
all, and chmod 777, but nothing gets created there. And I dont get any
errors at all in the logs.

I'm on the latest version (2.2.16).

-jf

--
He who settles on the idea of the intelligent man as a static entity only
shows himself to be a fool.

Mensan / Full-Stack Technical Polymath / System Administrator
12 years over the entire web stack: Performance, Sysadmin, Ruby and Frontend