IMAP logging / rawlog

G H uothrawn at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 17:58:36 UTC 2015

I am trying to monitor with Nagios that my phones are consistently checking into dovecot via IMAP. I used to be able to parse syslog for imap-login messages. I have since updated my phones, the phoness email client (k9-mail) and dovecot. Now the imap-login messages are few and far between. However, I can clearly see via tcpdump that some traffic is happening when I click refresh on k9. I enabled "rawlog" support in dovecot, but it doesn't seem to write to disc frequently enough.

1) Does anyone have a better suggestion for how to monitor that my phone is checking in regularly?
2) Is there a flush-to-disk capability for rawlog in dovecot?
3) Also, when you have imap_zlib plugin enabled, the rawlog logs the raw compressed data instead of the decompressed IMAP commands. Is this an oversight?

(FYI: k9 is calling SELECT "INBOX" on refresh)

Thanks,
G H