What to read about interactions

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Tue Apr 7 12:39:30 UTC 2015

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> I've been using dovecot happily for some years, but in a recent
> migration of my mail server I set up something that I think will be
> slightly easier to maintain.  I now have a single (in my case
> postgres) database backing all user names and so on, with postfix
> relying on dovecot auth for user validation and delivery.  I have the
> usual anti-spam machinery in there, and have started using the (for me
> new) pigeonhole implementation of sieve.  (My old mail system was
> built around the earlier dovecot implementation, and while I've
> patched it over time it's really pretty creaky.)
>
> On the whole, this all seems very nice, but I'm having a hard time
> understanding the details of what interacts with what other bits when.
> In particular, my mail system is known by several different names, and
> I thought it'd be much handier to have everything land in one real
> mailbox, since I could sort the inbound mail into different mailboxes
> without a lot of trouble using seive.  This has turned out to be
> slightly trickier than I thought it ought to be (procmail is in some
> ways easier), and I've come to the conclusion that I don't have a
> strong foundation in exactly how this is supposed to work.

procmail is easier ;-)

Think of "Sieve" taking over procmail.

If you want to know how to write Sieve scripts, check out
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Examples or any other Sieve
site. If you want to filter by mail domain, you need envelope tests, see
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve, too.

e.g.

if envelope :is "to" "owner-cipe-l at inka.de" {
   fileinto "lists.cipe";
   stop;
}

> Apart from reading the code (which would probably at this point be
> hard enough for me so as to make it impossible), are there things I
> ought to read to understand this better?  I've read the seive RFCs,
> but while that gives me a clue about what ought to happen
> protocol-wise, it isn't helping me at all to understand the
> interaction among the different subsystems so that I can see clearly

There are no "subsystems", as far as I understand the term. There is
information about the current message, which can be tested and acted on.

> how different parts of the delivery chain are interacting.  I'm sure
> there's some crucial bit of, "Everyone knows that," that I've
> overlooked, and I thought it would be better to ask for the FM than
> just to read randomly until I stumbled on it.

- --
Steffen Kaiser