Sieve, multiple addresses, and variables

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Wed Apr 8 17:32:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 02:43:51AM +0200, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> This script doesn't compile, due to mismatching '}', but I get the idea.

Doh!  Yes, obviously, I copied it from something longer in order to
get an isolated example, but should have checked.  Thanks.

> This is a bit of a limitation of Sieve. These tests always yield the
> first matching address (part) and there is no way to link the tests
> based on which address matched previously (logic connectives have no
> effect on that either).

Got it.  Thanks.

> However, since this concerns mailing lists, there is a better, more
> reliable way using the List-Id header that the IETF also uses for its
> mailing lists:

That was what I originally wanted to do, but of course that doesn't
work when someone does reply-all, I sent the mail, and the list is
configured to suppress duplicates.  I could turn off duplicate
suppression, I suppose, except that the version of pigeonhole in
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS doesn't have the duplicate extension (so I guess it's
slightly older; dovecot --version says 2.2.9).

The more I think about this (or actually, live with it), however, the
less satisfactory the generic answer is anyway, since people often
copy more than one list and I discover I have an opinion about which
one ought to be "primary".  So I think I'll have to go back to a rule
per list.

Thanks very much for your help, because this is at least allowing me
to learn.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at crankycanuck.ca