dovecot-2.2.16 compilation problems under Solaris Studio 11

Phil Carmody phil at dovecot.fi
Mon Apr 13 12:29:50 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 06:52:16PM +0100, James wrote:
> On 10/04/2015 15:27, Sami Ketola wrote:
>
> >I???m using Solaris 11 and SS 12.4, but I can still replicate the issue. It???s seems not to be compiler version or operating system version tied.
> >Dovecot does compile but I can see the error during the compile.
>
> Which issue, what error?  The warning about sloppy programming (putting a
> negative number in an unsigned value) can be ignored.  I see no compile
> error.

Some people like -Werror, or whatever the local equivalent is, and therefore
we strive to not have any compiler warnings.

I'll note that the "sloppy" code has perfectly well defined semantics
in N1570 (6.7.9p11, 6.5.16.1p2, and 6.3.1.3p2). It's as idiomatic as
``unsigned int foo = -1;'', which doesn't cause me to bat an eyelid.

However, for the sake of -Werror and other static code analysis tools,
a patch will very soon be in the dovecot.org tree.

Phil