Problem: mail moved by thunderbird script is invisible to mail clients, but in cur directory

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Sat Apr 18 09:36:54 UTC 2015

On 4/14/2015 10:59 AM, David Gessel wrote:
> Curiously, this directory was created by t-bird, but a simple
>
> # chmod 740 cur
>
> and the folder opens correctly.  Thank you, Steffen, for the help!

I believe you should make those permissions 750, so the execute bit is
present on both user and group.  This may not be strictly required
because the user is likely to always be vmail, but it fits better with
POSIX conventions.

It's very odd that a directory would be created without the execute bit
set wherever read permissions are granted.  I hope this is an isolated
incident and not a bug.

Here is a more verbose explanation of what the execute bit does on a
directory:

"Execute permission on a directory is sometimes called search
permission. If you found a directory that gave you execute permission,
but not read permission, you could use any file in that directory.
However, you must know the name. You cannot look inside the directory to
find out the names of the files. Think of this type of directory as a
black box. You can throw filenames at this directory, and sometimes you
find a file, sometimes you don't."

I found this explanation here:

http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Permissions.html#Execute_permission_on_a_directory

Thanks,