Dovecot under Linux with mail-extension and case insesitiv

Linda A. Walsh dovecot at tlinx.org
Thu Aug 6 07:36:36 UTC 2015

Sascha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i use doevecot 2.2.18 current. My Problem is with email-extension and
> case sensitiv folders.

I've had similar problems.  As I run Win-7 against a Samba-linux server.
Win-7 does case-preserving+case-ignore -- samba does case Mangling -- it
seems
to uppercase machine names & lowercase user names... causes alot of
chaos....

I'm only 1-user, so I changed my /etc/passwd file to have 2-3 names for
each   user-id I wanted to show up:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
Bliss\root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
BLISS\root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

At times/over the years, I've had Samba give me each variation at least
once. But it's not just samba... different brands of 'ssh' will pass
different things -- some just 'user', some Domain\User, some
Domain/User(cygwin).  Since most of my personal users are all lower
case, they don't usually need special attention, but in home directories
under 'Bliss', have a symlink BLISS->Bliss.  On some shares also needed
another symlink bliss->Bliss.  (ARRGGGG)...(BTW - Bliss was meant as
"irony"... so symlinks might help but will look ugly)...it can get
worse -- in user/group names, sometimes spaces are removed..
'Power Users' => powerusers...... ARG!!!....

But when I've talked to dovecot... I always have just needed the
user name (no Domain)... Maybe your email software has some setting
to tell it to "play nice"?....

Sorry for the "bad idea for large-scale implementation, but it was
easiest to do for a few users..(home network)...

BTW... some file systems are moving toward ignoring case...
xfs has had a case-ignore option but only works in ascii range.
Heard apple' implemented case-preserve+ignore on theirs,
and seem to remember reading somthing about Solaris(Sun/Oracle)'
ZFS getting a case-ignore+preserve option.

Good luck!