backing up IMAP server on a hard drive

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Thu Aug 6 15:21:12 UTC 2015

  Quoting Kevin Laurie <superinterstellar at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I am trying to back up my IMAP server to a hard drive. Later I intend to
> extract all mails for attachments. What do you reckon is the best too to
> perform this ?
>
> Imapsync or Thunderbird (or something else, please recommend)
>
> One problem I am having with imapsync is the setting for host2 (being a
> localhost computer).
> How does one set a parameter for host2 being a desktop computer.
>
> ThanksKevin

You could run Mercury/32 http://www.pmail.com/ as a local IMAP server that
could be your 'desktop destination'.

Though I'd assume the typical backup solution for a smaller environment
would probably use rsync (unless your server is a VM, then you could image
the whole VM via whatever utilities the host provides).

Rick