backing up email / saving maildir on external hard drives

Felix Zielcke fzielcke at z-51.de
Sun Aug 9 06:46:02 UTC 2015

Am Samstag, den 08.08.2015, 21:45 +0530 schrieb Kevin Laurie:
> Dear Christian,
> Thanks for your feedback.
> The HDD will not accept larger than 4GB (as its in FAT format). Its a
> new
> external HDD. Thinking of the best format(that would work with Mac ,
> Win
> and Linux) .seems like a challenge.
> What's your view on NTFS? And why not exFAT?
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

you can have multiple partitions even on an external HDD.
Or do you really need one big partition which works on all 3 OS?

For Win and OS X I'd use exFAT.
OS X AFAIK doestn't have write support on NTFS enabled by default.
And then for Linux a native FS like ext4,btrfs,XFS or whatever you
personally prefer.

Though the best would be indeed 3 partitions for each OS.
NTFS for Windows
And then HFS+ for OS X

For example I use on my backup HDD NTFS for Windows and btrfs for my
Linux Systems