How to import an mbox to an existing user as a new mailbox

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Sun Aug 9 15:40:30 UTC 2015

On 3 Aug 2015, at 7:16, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Paul Hoffman wrote:

>>> do you have access to the file system of the mail storage? Can you
>>> call doveadm on the server? What mail storage do you use now,
>>> Maildir, mbox, ... ?
>>
>> Sorry for being unclear earlier. Yes, yes, mbox.
>
> copy project1.mbox to '/path/to/user/mail/storage/Project 1.mbox' and
> make sure, the user has file system rights to access the file at all.
>
> Maybe, you need to add the new mailbox to the user's subscription
> file, in order to have it show up.

After a week, I'm at this again. Now having read up on doveadm, I am
trying the following:

   sudo doveadm import -u Foo mbox:/home/phoffman/project1.mbox "Project
1" all

However, that gets the result:

   Initializing mail storage from mail_location parameter failed: mbox:
mbox root directory can't be a file

Which bit am I missing here?

--Paul Hoffman