backing up email / saving maildir on external hard drives

Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Tue Aug 11 13:59:01 UTC 2015

Hi Kevin,

if you use maildir, I bet there is not a single mail bigger than 100 MB.
So ALL mails are 40 GB, but may be hundreds and thousands small ones ...?

Or did you compress all files in one 40GB tar/gz/zip/... ?

So fat32 is good for small files.

BUT if you like to transfer as well e.g. DVD iso images larger than > 4
GB that might be a problem.

From what I think is good for you to go with, you could do a "rsync ...
magic needed options" that maildir to the FAT32 Disk.

So you can read it on all systems without extra tools.

Furthermore if you want to do an other backup or "update" your files run
an other rsync ... so you dont have to compress a big archive all the time.

As the others pointed out, what do you want to do, what is your requirement?

Especially in a Linux/Mac/Win World there is no one sizes fits all.

An other thing is: If you dont need to move your external disk around a
lot or take it with you on the go, think of a NAS; e.g. two disks,
mirrored raid so you can access it without big problems from all OSs ..

my2cents. /Götz