multiple messages per second to a single mailbox

Chad M Stewart cms at balius.com
Wed Aug 12 16:33:13 UTC 2015

On Aug 12, 2015, at 11:25 AM, Chad M Stewart <cms at balius.com> wrote:

<..snip..>

> Since I posted I've changed a couple of things: ulimit -n 8192, and disabled fsync as in mail_fsync = never.  I'm not sure if I'll put it back in the LMTP section or not.  Given all the hardware abstraction layers.

I forgot to mention that on a clean start of dovecot (after making those changes), I counted 25 msgs delivered to this single mailbox (all INBOX) in a second.  Then it slowed down.  Maybe the answer is less LMTP connections and increase the number of messages per connection.  I have Postfix configured to do outbound connection caching and I've seen entries in the logs indicating 30 messages on a given connection.  I'll have to look into how to limit dovecot to a certain number of LMTP processes.

-Chad