multiple messages per second to a single mailbox

Andrzej A. Filip andrzej.filip at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 21:20:04 UTC 2015

Chad M Stewart <cms at balius.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2015, at 1:01 PM, Andrzej A. Filip <andrzej.filip at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Are docecot and postfix located on the same server?
>> Can postfix access (deliver) directly maildir file directory dovecot uses?
>>

> For the moment yes they are on the same server.  I designed it to be
> modular, the various components can be placed on different systems
> with no configuration changes required, should it be necessary.
>
> I'll note that Postfix does not appear to have any problems writing
> the files to its queue as fast as they are being delivered to it.
> Postfix and Dovecot are writing to different disks, though both are on
> the SAN, and both have noatime set.

As I understand:
*  maildir is designed for allowing fast "lockless" parallel deliveries
*  dovecot's LDA updates some dovecot specific index/cache files even for
   deliveries to maildir
=> making postfix deliver to maildir without updating dovecot specific files
   may solve your performance problems

--
A. Filip