IMAP Folder Mail Separator

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 14:37:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

>>> please post your old and the current configuration:
>>>
>>> doveconf -n
>>>
>>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir
>>> and
> [...]
>> hoping my doveconf output will help. I've also understand this may be
>> a long-standing thunderbird bug, but it worked up until a few months
>> ago after a dovecot/fedora upgrade.
>>
>> # 2.2.18: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> # OS: Linux 4.0.7-300.fc22.x86_64 x86_64 Fedora release 22 (Twenty Two)
>> default_client_limit = 2000
>> mail_gid = mail
>> mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
>> mail_privileged_group = mail
>> mbox_write_locks = fcntl
>> namespace inbox {
>>    inbox = yes
>>    location =
>>    mailbox Drafts {
>>      special_use = \Drafts
>>    }
>>    mailbox Junk {
>>      special_use = \Junk
>>    }
>>    mailbox Sent {
>>      special_use = \Sent
>>    }
>>    mailbox "Sent Messages" {
>>      special_use = \Sent
>>    }
>>    mailbox Trash {
>>      special_use = \Trash
>>    }
>>    prefix =
>> }
>> passdb {
>>    driver = pam
>> }
>> passdb {
>>    driver = pam
>> }
>> protocols = imap pop3
>> service auth {
>>    unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
>>      group = postfix
>>      mode = 0660
>>      user = postfix
>>    }
>> }
>> service imap-login {
>>    inet_listener imap {
>>      port = 0
>>    }
>>    inet_listener imaps {
>>      port = 993
>>    }
>>    process_min_avail = 20
>>    service_count = 0
>> }
>> service pop3-login {
>>    inet_listener pop3 {
>>      port = 0
>>    }
>>    inet_listener pop3s {
>>      address = 192.168.1.100
>>      port = 995
>>    }
>> }
>> ssl_ca = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/ca-bundle.pem
>> ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/orion-2015.pem
>> ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/orion-2015.key
>> userdb {
>>    driver = passwd
>> }
>> userdb {
>>    driver = passwd
>> }
>>
>> Please let me know what other information I can provide to help

Yes, that was the solution. Add 'separator = "$"' to the 'namespace
inbox {' section of dovecot.conf. Many suggestions were provided,
including one that said it was a long-standing bug with Thunderbird.
This happened after an upgrade, so I knew it wasn't that bug. I was
surprised to find so much outdated dovecot documentation.

Thanks very much to Edgar and the group for helping me resolve this.

Thanks,
Alex