IMAP hibernate feature committed

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Tue Aug 25 17:55:29 UTC 2015

* Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> 2015.08.25 17:28:

> >> ==> /var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log <==
> >> Aug 25 09:42:07 nihlus dovecot: imap(tlx at leuxner.net): Error: net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/imap-hibernate) failed: Permission denied
> >> Aug 25 09:42:07 nihlus dovecot: imap(tlx at leuxner.net): Error: Couldn't hibernate imap client: Couldn't export state: Virtual mailboxes have no GUIDs

Those are completely gone with the latest two commits. I was expecting the permission error to fire up. It seems a bit too quite. If it works would it spawn a hibernate-process? It looks so from the service section, but I don't see any "hibernate" processes active.

> > 'chmod 666' mitigates the permission issue on the socket. However it seems to have other issues then:
>
> You can also change the unix_listener { user, group, mode } as needed for different services (imap, imap-hibernate). http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Services has some more info.

$ doveconf -a | grep -A 20 'service imap-hibernate'
service imap-hibernate {
  […]
  unix_listener imap-hibernate {
    group =
    mode = 0600
    user =
  }
  user = $default_internal_user

The question is what user it should be - or what user it should match in case several users come into play. With the standard setting $default_internal_user as above it does not work out of the box (at least with my config).

Regards
Thomas