Dovecot cluster using GlusterFS

Filip Pytloun filip at pytloun.cz
Sun Dec 6 09:16:01 UTC 2015

Hello Alessio and Gordon, thank you for answers.

Dsync-based architecture looks promising, but I would preffer to stay
with GlusterFS for now as I also use it as a storage for other
components.

So director is the way to go, I don't want to setup more than two nodes
to keep this setup as simple as possible - so I will probably update to
2.2.19 and have director and backend on the same servers (and Dovecot
instance).

I asked about poolmon, because I think that Dovecot should have some
internal mechanism on how to recognize broken backend by default.
But if it works nicely, I am going to use it as well :-)

> At the moment, I cannot recognize the requirement for using lmtp over
> the directors. When using postfix for delivering e-mails to the
> backend, do this directly with an corresponding MX record.

I have two MX records of the same weight with postfix using dovecot-lmtp
for delivery. So that's why I wanted to use LMTP over directors.
Using lower weight for second MX is an option, but not truly
master-master setup :-)

Filip