Autoexpunge and special user namespace

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 21:51:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Timo Siraine wrote:

>> I'm interested in replacing my cron script that expunges old
>> deleted mail with the new feature announced in 2.2.20
>>
>>> + Added mailbox { autoexpunge=<time> } setting. See
>>>  http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxSettings for details.
>>
>> To use it, I need to specify which mailbox needs them using
>> the namespace configuration.  For example
>>
>> 	namespace inbox {
>> 		mailbox Trash {
>> 			auto = no
>> 			special_use = \Trash
>> 			autoexpunge = 7d
>> 			mailbox_list_index = yes
>> 		}
>
> mailbox_list_index=yes is a global setting. You can't have it here.

Oh, yes.  Thanks for pointing that out.  By the way, what does it do?  The
wiki states

 	mailbox_list_index=yes can help a lot by replying to IMAP STATUS
 	(and similar) lookups from a single index without having to open
 	each mailbox index separately.

So it create an uber-index that combines information from individual indices?
Are there any drawback to using this?

> > 	1) Do I need the special_user configuration at all?  Will some
> > 	clients start using different mailboxes to store deleted mail
> > 	if I keep the special_use lines?
>
> special_use is independent of the autoexpunge.  I guess it wouldn't
> necessarily hurt..  but it's also somewhat better to have only a single
> \Trash mailbox so clients don't become confused when more than one of
> those mailboxes exist.

Got it.

Thanks, Timo.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>