auth: Error: auth worker: Aborted request: Lookup timed out

ML mail mlnospam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 21:44:39 UTC 2015

Thanks for your tip regarding the busy network.

I am using a one year old Cisco Catalyst 2960S (WS-C2960S-48TD-L) with cat6e cables and my network should not be overloaded as far as I know. My mailbox and mail proxy servers are on two different virtual machines on two different servers. It could be possible that it is something with the virtualization but my other VMs do not have any connection time outs or anything. I will keep on searching on the network side.

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 8:40 PM, alvin <alvin.sm at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:

hi

> I don't know if this is related but I also get quite a few of these error messages:
>
> Jan 31 14:10:46 auth: Warning: auth client 0 disconnected with 1 pending requests: Connection reset by peer

my interpretation:

a) you have a very very bz network ... the other end cannot respond to incoming requests

   even if your network is NOT bz, eg, no collision blinking on your hubs/switches,
   you are still having network problems

b) if all of your dovecot tests is on one host  ... disconnect it from the network
   and see if dovecot's auth finishes its tasks

c) to clean up your network ...
    - use switches ... not hubs .... even inexpensive netgear switches is good enuff
    - use good 3-6' cat6e cables ... we'll assume the bldg's wiring is done to bldg specs
        - my guess, you're probably having cabling problems )
    - separate slow devices from faster devices
        eg. separate printers onto its own network with a switch
        in between printers and everybody else
    - separate 10/100 devices from gigE devices ... do not mix them up on the same switch/hub
c ya
alvin