auth: Warning: DNS lookup took 1.550 s

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Wed Feb 4 13:58:42 UTC 2015

On 04 Feb 2015, at 03:38 , ML mail <mlnospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am running a dovecot and proxy server on two different virtual machines and on the dovecot proxy server I see around 5-6 times per day the following warning:
>
> Feb 03 16:15:12 auth: Warning: proxy(email at domain.com,xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,<ABC123456789>): DNS lookup for mailboxserver.domain.com took 1.550 s

If you are seeing a warning that dans lookup took 1.5 seconds 5-6 times a day, why are you concerned?

> I do not really understand how from time to time DNS queries are slow,

Because from time to time, queries are slow. A hiccough in the line, the server is slightly busy doing something else. There’s a lot of bandwidth during those 1.5 seconds being used. It could be anything. If you were seeing hundreds of these warning, or if the times were over 5 seconds, then I’d worry.

> I tried replicate this issue using dig to resolve the same DNS entry and it was always very fast. Is there any way I can debug better this issue? or is this nothing to worry about really?

I would not worry about it based on these numbers.

--
there were far worse things than Evil. All the demons in Hell would
torture your very soul, but that was precisely because they valued souls