Resubmission after N days

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Fri Feb 6 06:23:57 UTC 2015

On 05. feb. 2015 22:29, Thomas Güttler wrote:
>>> You are right moving the mail should be simple.
>>> I ask myself it is possible to store the date of the resubmission in the mail itself.
>> How shall the date be visible to the user?
>>
>> Remember that altering the message may invalidate DKIM and other security / verification stuff.
>>
>> Instead of a simple "mv" you can prefix the message with "X-Date: " header, so you mark the message, but it is not visible to the user.
>>
>> If your goal is to have the message "up" according the client side message sorting by date, you would need to alter the Date: header and possibly break message verification.
>>
>> What's your goal in order to " store the date of the resubmission "?
>
> My goal is to use IMAP only, not external database. But I guess this is not possible.
>
> I could alter the subject of the mail. What kind of message verification could break?
>
> Regards,
>    Thomas Güttler

(code samples are for bash. untested.)

Putting data in the mail is hard without violating mail integrity.

If you really want this, an easy way would be to have doveadm create a
<code> mailbox "resubmit"</code> folder, and subfolders under there with
names like "date --iso" gives you, eg with <code> mailbox
"resubmit."$(date -d "next week" +"%F")</code> . Note: "next week" ,
with the quotes, literally is a valid value for date -d .

Then have a cron job moving from <code>mailbox "resubmit."$(date
--iso)</code> to inbox. Remember to remove the \Seen flag from the mail.

If you do not want to see the mails before next week, just do not
subscribe to those folders (see -s flag to doveadm mailbox create )

Now, pick a scripting-language and start coding :-) .

Håkon Alstadheim / N-7510 Skatval / email: hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
tlf: 74 82 60 27 mob: 47 35 39 38
http://alstadheim.priv.no/hakon/