Postfix , Dovecot & the Spam fight

Leander Schäfer info at netocean.de
Mon Feb 9 21:29:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm currently busy with a substiution of my current mail server. I'm
currently using

  * Clam-SMTP and
  * SpamAssassin

to fight Spam. I wonder if it is worth implementing AmaViS with
SpamAssassin backend instead and also using AmaViS to speak to clamd
directly. But I more and more wonder wether AmaViS is even worth it?! It
currently looks to me as if AmaViS is eating LOTS of ressources and it
is very uncomfortable for automated installations if you have to do
dynamic batch changes on the AmaViS configs - sed(1) is your friend but
this hectic escaping and workarrounds is really not sustainable to maintain.

So my question is: Does AmaViS have any advantages compared to the
current setup? I don't seem to find lots of qualified discussions for
this on the net. The AmaViS related articles I found are freaking old.
Would be nice the get your best practice as a change.

Thanks a lot

Best regards
Leander