[SOLVED] Thunderbird client certification validation fails with same profile but changed IMAP server software (Re: It works for two SMTP servers and cyrus-imap, why not Dovecot?)

Daniel Dickinson dovecot at daniel.thecshore.com
Fri Feb 13 14:07:53 UTC 2015

In hopes that searching may turn up the solution for others:

The reason client certificate validation was failing in Thunderbird when
it had previously succeeded with other servers (both IMAP and SMTP) is
precisely that: the client and profile where the same ones used to
connect to the server who's hostname hadn't changed, and email addresses
and usernames were the same, and Thunderbird can't handle that.

Keeping your existing Thunderbird profile when switching the IMAP server
software running on the hosting server doesn't work even if you change
all the configs that should matter (rename old accounts out of the way,
replace the server they are supposed to be contacting with blank, and so
on) and create new accounts within the same profile.

The workaround for this bug in Thunderbird is to move the old profile
out of the way and start fresh.

The apparent cause of failure (invalid cert messages and other messages
that make it look like it's a configuration or certificate/CA file
issue) actually has nothing to do with the actual issue and is a major
red herring.

Sorry for the noise, back to regular scheduled program...

Regards,

Daniel