doveadm deduplicate commands

Jiri Bourek bourek at thinline.cz
Fri Feb 13 16:47:34 UTC 2015

On 13.2.2015 16:59, Kevin Laurie wrote:
> Dear Jiri,
>
> I tried the following to try to get the inbox deduplicated. My inbox is
> quite large and urgently need to remove the duplicated messages.
> Is there an easy way to do this?
> Sorry for being so presistant but I need help.
>
> The command I tried:-
>
>   doveadm deduplicate -u user at domain.net mailbox inbox

I'd try this (in shell):

doveadm search -u user at domain.net mailbox inbox | wc -l

Doveadm will print mailbox-guid and uid pair for every message in inbox,
one per line, pipe it into "wc -l", which will count the lines and
output a number - that's the count of messages in INBOX.

Then try doveadm deduplicate and after that the search command above
again. If the count changed, deduplicate is working - you may only need
to run it multiple times.

If the count doesn't change, dovecot is unable to recognize duplicates
in your mailbox and you need to find another solution. Maybe check out
the "-m" option in man doveadm-deduplicate