how to run dovecot imap on separate server from postfix?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 18 17:20:42 UTC 2015

Am 18.02.2015 um 18:15 schrieb Robert Fantini:
> I'm trying to figure out the exact line to put to /etc/postfix/main.cf
>
> for local lmtp deliver we use:
> mailbox_transport = *lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp*
>
> for remote  it is supposed to be:* lmtp:host:port*
>
> yet at the remote  lmtp does not use ports.  UNIX domain sockets are used
> instead

so just configure dovecot lmtpd to listen on a TCP port, port 24 is
reserved for that - and don't open the port for any other machine as the
postfix server

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/services | grep -i lmtp
lmtp            24/tcp                          # LMTP Mail Delivery
lmtp            24/udp                          # LMTP Mail Delivery