how to run dovecot imap on separate server from postfix?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 18 19:14:21 UTC 2015

Am 18.02.2015 um 20:07 schrieb Robert Fantini:
> OK I got delivery from postfix to lmtp working  ,
>
>   by changing from unix_listener  to inet_listener .
>

> Reindl  wrote  "don't open the port for any other machine as the postfix
> server"
> I see that is important..   I assume that just a firewall setting?  Or
> does the 'address'  line in inet_listener lmtp  have something to do with
> it?

firewall as long as you don't have more than one network card and the
interface dovecot is listening on is only reachable from the postfix server

even if: *always* restrict the packet filter, sooner or later somebody
will change something without realize the impact and hence if it comes
to security put at least 2 safety nets in front of server ports