Using Dovecot IMAPC to collect mail

Иван Колосов zackwag32 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 07:37:13 UTC 2015

Hi list. I was looking at Dovecot's imapc feature for some time. I am
aiming to use Dovecot with imapc as a kind of "store-and-forward"
proxy. If I understand imapc correctly, there are two connections at
work — one between the client and Dovecot and one between Dovecot and
backend. When the client asks Dovecot for mail, Dovecot will retrieve
mail from the backend and then send it to the client. So the question
is, is it possible to configure Dovecot with imapc in such a way that
it would store the mail it passes to the client? Should I use mail
filter plugin to do this? I am also quite confused about
authentication in this setting. Let's assume we use 'plain'
authentication mechanism, then what happens? I guess that the client
just sends Dovecot its credentials, and Dovecot tries to authenticate
with them at the backed, responding to the client accordingly. Is this
true?

Thanks.