"Temporary authentication failure" ? Cant connect with ldap user

David Scheele david.scheele2 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:02:13 UTC 2015

Hello there, first time writing.

I'm relatively new to linux and have been tasked with setting up the
following configuration:
Debian Wheezy Server
Postfix
Dovecot
OpenLDAP

So, I set up the Server, installed and configured postfix, ldap and dovecot
(in that order) and now simply try to log into the mail account with a used
from the LDAP over telnet.

The test looks like this:

*|> telnet localhost 143*
*| a bunch of stuff ending with:*
*| OK [**] Dovecot ready.*
*|> a login username userpassword*
*| a NO [UNAVAILABLE] Temporary authentication failure. [host and date
here]*

In the logs it says

*|[date] mailserver dovecot: auth: Error: LDAP: binding failed (dn
cn=admin): Invalid credentials*

But I KNOW the admin password I entered into the dovecot-lda.conf.ext is
correct as I use it to log into the LDAP directory over jxplorer

I also know the password for the user i try to log in with is correct as i
set it myself over and over just to be sure there are no typos.
I'm at a loss, I've been at this end for a few days now and can't find good
tutorials online because its either always an old dovecot, postfix, ldap or
debian version and somewhere in the middle it just stops because some file
is completely missing. I get the impression I'm just not able-brained for
linux useage.

Anyway, here are a few more informations about the system:

*Dovecot version 2.1.7*

Output of grep -v '^ *\(#.*\)\?$' dovecot-sql.conf:

*hosts = localhost*
*dn = cn=admin*
*dnpass = [password]*
*sasl_bind = no*
*tls = no*
*auth_bind = yes*
*ldap_version = 3*
*base = dc=[domainname],dc=de*
*user_attrs = uidNumber=uid,gidNumber=gid*
*user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))*
*pass_attrs = uid=user,userPassword=password*

Output of dovecot -n:

*disable_plaintest_auth = no*
*mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u*
*[namespace config here]*

*passdb {*
*args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext*
*driver = ldap*
*}*
*plugin {*
*sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve*
*sieve_dir = ~/sieve*
*}*

*protocols = " imap pop3"*
*ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem*
*ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem*
*userdb {*
*args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext*
*driver =ldap*
*}*
*protocol pop3 {*
*pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh*
*pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv*
*}*

Any help would be greatly apprechiated.... I'm going crazy over here.

Thanks in advance,
David