pigeonhole ereject vs reject

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 14 00:34:10 UTC 2015

Am 14.01.2015 um 01:28 schrieb Robert Blayzor:
> Currently pigeonhole supports reject which would generate a NDR for each message. (If I understand the current documentation)
>
> Using Dovecot LMTP it would be more optimal to kick a 5xx back to the primary MTA to reject the delivery rather than generating more back scatter NDRs

and what would that change?
nothing if you think about how mail works!

* the MTA receives the message
* the MTA confirms with 2xx status code
* later the delivery server rejects
* the MTA *must* create a bounce

just don't reject mails after you confirmed you have received them in
the SMTP session and if you don't want a mail after that DISCARD it by
consider legal implications - there is nothing between