sieve filter not working

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Thu Jan 22 19:49:59 UTC 2015

* Michael Williamson <michael.h.williamson at gmail.com> 2015.01.22 20:11:

> I have dovecot 2.0.9 running on a CentOS 6.6 email server for a small

This is a notorious version. Not only is it hopelessly outdated, it used to contain broken features way back...

> require ["fileinto"];
> # Move spam to spam folder
> if header :contains "X-Spam-Flag" ["YES"] {
>   fileinto "Maildir/.SPAM";
>   stop;
> }

The mail is very awkwardly structured, I had trouble spotting the actual question FTR. You may set mail_debug to yes:

$ grep mail_debug *
10-logging.conf:#mail_debug = no

This will then produce verbose logging and most likely will help spotting the reason why the mail is not filed. Inject a mail with logging raised and post the relevant log excerpt here for further analysis. I have a feeling that it should just say fileinto "SPAM", but difficult to say without seeing log output.

Current Dovecot versions also have the benefit of the sieve-test tool which lets you apply rules to mailboxes and see what would happen, or refilter mail if you're happy with the outcome of the dry-run.

Regards
Thomas