"error: number of redirect actions exceeds policy limit"

Kai Sommer lists at i-sommer.de
Thu Jan 22 21:50:30 UTC 2015

Greetings,

after testing a lot with my system I have to write to this list to ask
for help from the cummunity.

My system:
* Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
* Dovecot 2.0.19
* Dovecot config (extract)
––––– 8< –––––
plugin {
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
  sieve_max_redirects = 10
}
––––– >8––––––

* Sieve filter rules
––––– 8< –––––
require ["copy"];
# rule:[Alles weiterleiten]
if true
{
        redirect "mail_1 at mydomain";
        redirect "mail_2 at mydomain";
        redirect "mail_3 at mydomain";
        redirect "mail_4 at mydomain";
        redirect "mail_5 at mydomain";
        redirect "mail_6 at mydomain";
        keep;
        stop;
}
––––– >8––––––

Problem scenario:
  With the redirect-filter (see above) Dovecot redirects a incoming
email to the first address and stops withe the message "error: number of
redirect actions exceeds policy limit" (.dovecot.sieve.log).
In my mail.log I see the message "Error: sieve: execution of script
$PATH/.dovecot.sieve failed, but implicit keep was successful (user
logfile $PATH/.dovecot.sieve.log may reveal additional details)".

If I reduce the count of recipients to four – which is the Dovecot
default number – everything will redireced as expected.

I only could find an old problem report here [0] where as the posted
solution doesn't work for me (as you can see above).
(Also I tried the rule "redirect :copy" that doesn't changed something …)

[0] <http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2012-August/085038.html>

→ Is this problem known? – Is there a solution for that problem?

Thanks a lot and best regards! – Kai

--
Kai Sommer
sig: 5E2E FA58 43BD 5599 4068 | pubkey: http://ma.ximi.se/mekey