LDA input validation

Stéphane Cottin stephane.cottin at vixns.com
Mon Jan 26 09:42:26 UTC 2015

> Le 26 janv. 2015 à 05:31, Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> St?phane Cottin writes:
>
>> dspam already send errors to syslog, the point here is to never loose
>> email contents.  This was a wrong design, i'm now use a wrapper instead
>> ( see my previous post for details ).
>
> You're stilling going to lose contents.  If dspam fails, the mail
> is dumped, the LDA returns exit code 75, and the MTA will probably
> issue a bounce Email to the sender.

from dovecot-lda man page :

75  A  temporary  failure.  This  is  returned  for  almost all failures. See the log file for
           details. (EX_TEMPFAIL)

The mta keep the mail and retry delivery later, which is what I need.

> If you really don't want the recipient to lose Email, you should
> buffer the input into a file, run dspam on it, and if the output
> is not-null, pipe it to dovecot-lda, otherwise pipe the original
> input.

I don't want to deliver email on dspam error, I prefer TEMPFAIL and future retries, so I have a chance to fix the issue later without loosing or deliver unprocessed mails