Howto NTML

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Tue Jan 27 03:30:51 UTC 2015

Has anyone gotten NTLM working with Dovecot and Outlook?

I have a Samba4 domain controller / active directory running just fine on Linux
Slackware64 14.1.  PLAIN authenticiation works just fine if I create /etc/passwd
accounts for the domain users.

I've tried for over two weeks to get NTLM working from Outlook 2007 on a domain
workstation without success.  I end up with various permission errors and
ultimately procmail won't deliver if I "adjust" mailbox folder permissions too
liberally.  Also it seems I have to log in each time in Outlook.

If someone has made this work, I'd be very interesting in seeing the doveconf -n
output, the permissions on the mailbox directories, the nsswitch.conf, and
anything else you had to tweak to get this working.

I'd really love to have AD authentication working on this setup!

--Mark