Scalability with high density servers and proxies, TCP port limits

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Wed Jul 8 05:52:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 14:29:55 +0900 Christian Balzer wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 07:05:43 +0200 Urban Loesch wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am 03.07.2015 um 05:14 schrieb Christian Balzer:
> >

> > > 2. Here is where the fun starts.
> > > Each IMAP session that gets proxied to the real mailbox server needs
> > > a port for the outgoing connection.
> > > So to support 2 million sessions we need 40 IP addresses here. Ouch.
> > > And from a brief test having multiple IP addresses per server won't
> > > help either (Dovecot unsurprisingly picks the main IP when
> > > establishing a proxy session to the real mailbox), at least not with
> > > just one default GW.

To follow up on myself, with multiple IPs and appropriate(*) iproute rules
this works as well.

(*) for each IP in "interfaces" add something like this:
---
        up ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 src 192.168.1.109 table T2
        up ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 table T2
        up ip rule add from 192.168.1.109 table T2
---
And the tables in "/etc/iproute/rt_tables".

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/