Error while executing dovecot

Ralf Hildebrandt r at sys4.de
Fri Jul 10 11:22:49 UTC 2015

* Sachin Kulkarni1 <SK00335601 at TechMahindra.com>:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to execute dovecot by below command
>
> 	/opt/app/dovecot/latest/sbin/dovecot -c /opt/app/dovecot/latest/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>
> I am getting below error
>
> 	doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /opt/app/dovecot/latest/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: default_login_user doesn't exist: dovenull
>
> please guide me to resolve this.

Create the user dovenull!

Dovecot uses two system users for internal purposes now by default:
"dovenull" and "dovecot". You need to create the "dovenull" user or
change default_login_user setting. "dovenull" user is used by completely
untrustworthy processes, while "dovecot" user is used for slightly more
trusted processes.

If you want to be using something else than "dovecot" as the other user,
you need to change default_internal_user setting.

Just like with "dovecot" user, "dovenull" doesn't need a password, home
directory or anything else (but it's good to give it its own private
"dovenull" group).

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64